Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Roosevelt Rassled

Check out this great chapter from President Theodore Roosevelt's Autobiography talking about how he wrestled and boxed.

"When obliged to live in cities, I for a long time found that boxing and wrestling enabled me to get a good deal of exercise in condensed and attractive form. I was reluctantly obliged to abandon both as I grew older. I dropped the wrestling earliest. When I became Governor, the champion middleweight wrestler of America happened to be in Albany, and I got him to come round three or four afternoons a week. Incidentally I may mention that his presence caused me a difficulty with the Comptroller, who refused to audit a bill I put in for a wrestling-mat, explaining that I could have a billiard-table, billiards being recognized as a proper Gubernatorial amusement, but that a wrestling-mat symbolized something unusual and unheard of and could not be permitted. "

Read Full Chapter:
http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/2002/jmanlyart_roosevelt_0102.htm

No comments: